Had a lovely barbecue this weekend with friends and, yet again, i was reminded that food just tastes better by the sheer fact of being eaten outside. well, that and a killer recipe doesn’t hurt…so, if you’re getting ready for your next outdoor fiesta and need a fail-proof recipe for a side salad with a kick, you must try this guacamole salad. are you even surprised it’s from barefoot contessa?
(note – for my less-than spicy-lovin’ husband, i leave out the jalapenos….i also don’t feel like the black beans are necessary, but feel free to add for an extra ooomph)
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved
- Prep Time: 10 min
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you’re ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.