First of all, a heartfelt thank you to Jody of About Last Weekend (the most stylish, witty, utterly addictive blog on the web) for nominating me for the Stylish Blog Award. Whoo-hoo! With this award comes the daunting task of sharing with you, my beloved readers, seven things you may not know about me.
1) When i was a little girl, I won the title of Junior Cowgirl at the Grupe Ranch in Mariposa for placing first in categories like watermelon seed spitting, skeet shooting and calf roping. And, yes, I have the belt buckle to prove it.
2) At a very fancy party at my then-boyfriend’s private school, I was seated next to the headmaster who, years ago, had been a fellow English Major like me. Striving to impress this very accomplished gentleman, I told him that I was specializing in 18th Century British novels. When asked my favorite book of the period, I proudly told him “Gilligan’s Travels” which, as everyone knows, is the lesser-known Swift novel starring Ginger.
3) I’m an absolutely hopeless Anglophile and still keep a pound in my wallet from when i studied at Oxford. With no imminent plans to cross the pond, however, this obsession currently manifests itself as an addiction to Laura Marling and a predilection for reading to my children with a British accent. And, now, my older son does it and sounds a lot like Mick Jagger reading Captain Underpants.
4) I met my adorable husband on 80’s night at a dance club called Heaven and Hell after performing an impromptu lambada against a wall in honor of my friend leaving for the Peace Corps. And, yes, our first dance was to Spandeau Ballet.
5) speaking of my adorable husband, i had the stomach flu on our first date. fearful that by cancelling i might never hear from him again, i put on my big girl pantyhose (and black pantsuit…horror…) and met him at the decided-upon restaurant….an ethiopian establishment which, in any other circumstance, would have been ethic and lovely, but given the aforementioned gastrointestinal issues, made sitting in front of a platter of lamb dulet almost impossible. and yet, even though i only drank ice water and excused myself to the bathroom seven times (to not only barf but re-apply makeup with the emergency beauty kit i’d stashed in my gargantuan purse), the love of my life never knew.
6) when i was very little, my mama and i were talking around sutter creek, calif. and a man came up to me and told me that i looked like i’d just stepped out of a normal rockwell painting. and to this day, that is my favorite compliment.
7) when i was in the second grade, i wet my pants because mean mrs. cabral wouldn’t let me go the bathroom until recess and i changed seats and when the other kids noticed the little puddle i blamed it on johnny but only because he used to chase me around the playground yelling “bite the weenie” and wouldn’t you do the same thing?
Now that that’s out of the way, I’d like to nominate the following blogs for being chic and clever and fab!
- live love small
- Max Dalton
- sarah jane studios
- giddy giddy
- The Bedlam of Beefy
- theo design
- two straight lines
- urban weeds
- vivienne art